Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:31:26 -0500
From:      chris@tourneyland.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is my NIC card dead?

At 12:33 PM 9/29/99 +0200, you wrote:
>It'll be easier for us to see once you've shown us what your config is
>at the moment. :-)
>
>What do you see when you do this:
>
>	ifconfig -a

I'm happy to learn about ifconfig. Here's what ifconfig -s says

lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

And here's what ifconfig -au says:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1
netmask 0xff000000

So nothing is up except my loopback (unless I read this wrong). Also,
ifconfig didn't say anything about ed0, which is where I think my NIC shuld
be (it's a generic NE2000 compatible). This seems to fit with the fact that
during start up, I get a message of "ed0 not found on 0x280".

The card is just some old thing something I pulled out of a shoebox. If
it's easy to reconfigure, I'd just as soon keep it. But if it'd be easier
to buy a new card, that's fine too. I guess I'm a little scared of this
card now, since I haven't done anything with the machine since I
reinstalled FreeBSD a week ago (it was an FTP install, so the card was
definitely fine then).

Thanks,
Chris