Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:23:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

It seems Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> Oh, no, another blow up while I was asleep...
>
> To be honest, as someone who has tried to maintain the keyboard and
> PS/2 mouse drivers in FreeBSD (and the mouse driver in XFree86) for
> more than 4 years, I must say I am rather disappointed.
>
> I DID write many man pages and FAQ entries for keyboard/mouse support,
> answered many questions in FreeBSD MLs, fixed many PRs, and helped
> people to solve their problems, and fixed drivers. I DID what I could!
>
> I feel shot down.

You shouldn't, I think you have done a wonderfull job !

> For the last few years, I have struggled to figure out the contents of
> packets sent by various mice.  No, I have not published a manual or
> notes (other than code itself and CVS logs) to describe what I have
> found. I know I should do that.  I simply haven't had time.  Don't
> accuse me of being lazy. It's volunteer project! People do what s/he
> can do in his/her spare time!

Exactly, I know the feeling, I could use a 40 hour week just for keeping
up with the ATA sutff, but getting that much time, AND having a day job
that pay the bills is simply not possible.

If I could have a free wish, it would be for all those that complain
and use our sparse time with these endless discussions to develop the
needed skills and just get on with fixing the problems themselves,
*then* get back here with the solution.

This is how this system is/was built guys....

-Søren