Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:09:22 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0/4.5-STABLE & Win2000 Multiboot problem

4/16/2002 2:06:16 PM, "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I?ve had this problem a few times before, but usually overcome it by
>luck most of the time. I have Win2k installed currently, then I set
>up FreeBSD, I partition the main HD, to include both systems on the
>same disk, and I make the FreeBSD partition bootable (active). When I
>restart the box, and see an option such as:
>
>F1. DOS
>F3. FreeBSD
>F5. ???
>
>The F1 key works to boot windows, but when F3 is hit, the result is
>this:
>
>F3: ?%&@
>
>It does not boot, just beeps. Then I hit F3 again to go back to the
>Main menu and boot to windows ok. What is causing this to happen?
>
>I would also like to get rid of the F5 option with ???, how can I do
>this?
>
>Please help. Thank you.
>
>Nick Lozinsky

Couple of options, later a couple of questions:

Options -

(1) Use the Win2K loader to boot both FreeBSD and Win2K.  Read the
FAQ at the FreeBSD web site for instructions.

(2) Install the GRUB port, read the information *carefully*, either by
typing "info grub" (no quotes) at a command prompt or on the GNU/grub
web site, and then configure it to your liking.  It's a wonderful boot
loader.  I'd prefer to use it myself, but currently I can't get it to grok my
RAID array.

(3) Use BootEasy, but this has a disadvantage and involves a couple of
questions.  Disadvantage: you can't configure what shows up in the boot
menu, e.g., ???.  (This is also in an FAQ somewhere.  Googling might
be helpful.:)

Questions:

(1) What is the detailed setup of your hard disk slices/partitions?

(2) Are you using the FAT32 or NTFS filesystem for W2K?  If NTFS,
where does that DOS entry in the boot menu come from?

Jud