Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:10:33 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        "Brian Gallucci" <noc@expnet.net>, "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Firewall Rules

Yeah - at the start of rc.firewall it flushes the rules again _unless_
you have firewall_quiet=YES defined (usually done in rc.conf), so the
first command (the flush) worked ok, but the flush _inside_ rc.firewall
_then_ disconnected you...

Change rc.firewall to default to quiet unless otherwise specified.

eg: pseuodo-code something like:
if firewall_verbose = YES then
	fwcmd = ipfw
else
	fwcmd = ipfw -q
end

That way, if you forget, it won't matter....

Otherwise, using the original command you had:
firewall_quiet=YES; sh rc.firewall

Note that you don't need the ipfw flush here as it's done inside
rc.firewall anyway, which was the gotchya you experienced... ;)

HTH

[snip]

Regards