Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:04:20 -0500
From:      Rich Lampe <rlampe@bc.cybernex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install questions

Hi There!,

Okay i didn't make clear what my reboot problem was so here goes.

I have 2 drives the primary is 1.6G and the secondary is 420M which is
where I am trying to install FreeBSD.

I didn't elect to install a boot loader!
Is this bad??

I wanted to either use a dos boot loader, or I have tried the freebsd
install diskette.

I get it to ask for info, as boot: 1:wd(1,c)/kernel -cv

But the last I see is changing root device to wd1c
configure finished
Panic: cannot mount root

Thank you for the e-mail responses, but I don't think I explained my
problem clearly, as I don't understand the replies:
At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
---Do this in visual???

OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

Where can I do this.. I don't understand the reply.

Where can I get to the kernel config?

Or this reply:
3. (Possibly the easiest) Start up FreeBSD by typing "1:wd(2,a)/kernel"
at "Boot:" prompt.  Once FreeBSD successfully booted up, create
/boot.config with the line you typed above as the only contents of the
file.
(From next time you don't have to type the same line every time, as the
boot loader reads it from the boot
configuration file, /boot.config

How?

Thanks in advance,