Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 12:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer not working....

According to Doug White:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
>

> >    Can anyone offer a solution to why mmy deskjet500 quit working?
> >    It stopped during my recent disk crash, and the reason, according
> >    to /var/log/messages was that I was missing the hpif file in
> >    /usr/local/libexec.
> >
> >    Moments ago I find the same message::
> >

> >    Apr 30 22:01:18 tao lpd[25507]: cannot execv /usr/local/libexec/hpif
> >    Apr 30 22:01:18 tao lpd[25506]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA384tao.thought.org)
> >

> >    But::
> >

> > pe 22:14 <tao> [931] ll                                      /usr/local/libexec
> > total 372
> >   2 -rwxrwxr-x   1 root  wheel    336 Apr 23 23:03 hpif
> >
> >   The is a much simpler version of hpif that I had originally, I
> >   think.  This hpif may be missing some ghostscript lines.
>
> It can't execute /usr/local/libexec/hpif.  What interpreter is it using?

	I had two leading newlines before the #!/bin/sh line.  The `#!'
	has to be the 0th and 1st bytes...  I flubbed that as I
	mouse-buffer cut-and-pasted.

	After that was resolved, there was a bug in the gs line.
	After the gs line was closer to what it should have been,
	I  had my hp500 incorrectly named to the -sDEVICE=.
	((Evidently, it's got to be "djet500".))

	There are a lot of wonderful people out there, and quite a
	few are on this list.   I figured out the last bug
	(-sDEVICE="djet500") myself.  Kent Stewart helped me
	thru the first parts.

	gary