Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:47:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Co=EFdan?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        vallo@matti.ee, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncr: frequent ccb errors and crashes

Dag-Erling Coïdan  Smørgrav wrote...
> Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee> writes:
> > Yeah, nice to see that you have IBM disks, but these are truly overpriced
> > here, Quantum costs about half of the IBM disks. Do you suggest replacing
> > controller or what I can do to test that specific controller. Maybe I'm
> > having a faulty controller, that is.
>
> Bullshit. I don't know about the Baltic countries, but in Norway,
> large IBM SCSI drives cost much less than equivalent Quantum or
> Seagate drives. Example (from Tech Computers in Oslo):
>
>    UltraStar 9ZXS  9,1 GB  DDRS-39110W
>    6.3ms, 1024kB, 10000 rpm, UW-SCSI
>      6.650,- 8.180,-
>
>    Cheetah 9.1 GB ST19101W
>    8ms, 512kB, 10000 rpm, UW-SCSI
>      7.290,- 8.967,-
>
> The IBM drive is not only cheaper, but faster too. (the first price is
> without sales tax, the second is with tax)

The second drive is a first generation Cheetah.  The second generation
cheetahs are pretty nice, and I believe they are slightly faster than the
IBM Ultrastar 9ZX.  Take a look at:

http://www.seagate.com/disc/cheetah/cheetah.shtml

and:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/ultra/9zxdata.htm

Compare the "media data rate" on IBM's page with the "internal transfer
rate" on Seagate's page.  You're right that the first generation Cheetah is
slower than the 9ZX.  The second generation Cheetah, however, is faster
than the 9ZX.

First generation Cheetah:	122 - 177 Mbits/sec
UltraStar 9ZX:			129.3 - 204.8 Mbits/sec
Second generation Cheetah:	152 - 231 Mbits/sec

IIRC, those numbers don't directly translate to MB/sec.  You have to do
some sort of calculation to get actual MB/sec.

I've got an UltraStar 9ZX at home, and it's a very nice drive.  Here
are some iozone results:

{panzer:/a/ken:103:0} iozone 1024 65536

        IOZONE: Performance Test of Sequential File I/O  --  V2.01 (10/21/94)
                By Bill Norcott

        Operating System: FreeBSD 2.x -- using fsync()

        Send comments to:       b_norcott@xway.com

        IOZONE writes a 1024 Megabyte sequential file consisting of
        16384 records which are each 65536 bytes in length.
        It then reads the file.  It prints the bytes-per-second
        rate at which the computer can read and write files.

Writing the 1024 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...73.773438 seconds
Reading the file...64.851562 seconds

IOZONE performance measurements:
        14554585 bytes/second for writing the file
        16556915 bytes/second for reading the file

One interesting thing about the IBM drives is that they have an on-board
temperature sensor.  The drive will supposedly return transactions with
certain sense codes when it gets too hot.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com