Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 1995 10:28:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sgmlfmt doesn't work under Perl5.001 !

On Sat, 2 Sep 1995, Jake Hamby wrote:

> When I tried to run sgmlfmt(1) tonight, after upgrading from the Perl that
> came with FreeBSD (4.036?) to 5.001m, it gives me these errors and then
> quits:

[Bunch of errors deleted]

> Is this a bug in sgmlfmt or just Perl5.001 not being backwards compatible
> with 4.036?  At any rate, when I installed perl it made a link from
> /usr/local/bin/perl (where I installed it) to /usr/bin/perl (where the
> old FreeBSD version was).  My fault for allowing it to, but now what am
> I supposed to do?  Tomorrow I'll have a look at either fixing sgmlfmt to
> work with Perl5 or just rebuilding Perl4.036 from source...  Any
> suggestions?

Yeah, perl 4.036 and perl 5.001 aren't compatible, so it'd have been
surprising if you _had_ been able to get that done.  First thing you do,
have to run perl (the 4.036 version) and perl5.001 side by side for a
while here.  If you fix it for sgmlfmt, then some other script will need it.

>      Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
>   Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |