Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 11:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@bubba.tribe.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Viewing output of "tun" driver

Hello... I'm curious as to why the following happens. I'm not
sure whether or not it's "supposed" to happen.

I compiled the "tun" driver in the kernel, and had to see
it to believe it. So I enabled it by saying something like:

	ifconfig tun0 MY.IP.ADDR.ESS OTHER.IP.ADDR.ESS

This caused a routing table entry to be added as well.
Then in one window I said:

	hexdump < /dev/tun0

and in another:

	ping -c 1 OTHER.IP.ADDR.ESS

Sure enough, out came the packet on the first screen. Pretty neat!
But then when I try to kill the "hexdump" process, I find that it's
stuck in uninterruptable disk wait and simply cannot be killed (ie,
even kill -9 doesn't work):

  USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TT  STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND
  root      2685  0.0  1.7   204  104 p3- D     9:44AM    0:00.07 hexdump

Why does this happen and is this normal?

Thanks for any insights,
-Archie