Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:23:39 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports 'make install' and mtree

>    I have observed for quite a while now that whenever I do a 'make install'
>of a port, the ownership of /usr/local gets changed to root:wheel, and when
>I do a 'make hierarchy' from /usr/src, it gets changed back to bin:bin.

This is caused by:
- /usr/local is owned by bin:bin    according to /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist
- "."        is owned by root:wheel according to /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist
- `make hierarchy' goes through the mtree files in a strange (alphabetical)
  order, so BSD.local.dist is done before BSD.usr.dist.

It's reasonable for mount points to have different permissions than the
root directory of mounted file systems, but the difference is probably
backwards here.

>    Why does a 'make install' of a port change the ownership to something
>other than what mtree(8) thinks it should be?  Should it be doing this?

`make install' runs mtree on /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist and doesn't run
it on BSD.usr.dist.

This is better than pkg_add, which runs mtree on stale copies of
BSD.local.dist in packages, so that you can't fix this problem or
others in your local copy of BSD.local.dist.

Bruce