Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:49:42 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "John Van Sickle" <johnandsamson@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad Partition Problem Solved?

--==_Exmh_-251349390P

If memory serves me right, "John Van Sickle" wrote:

> I own one of the dreaded Thinkpad's (A20p) that won't boot after installing
> FreeBSD due to IBM's use of partition id 165 (A5) for suspend to disk. I was
> told  that someone on this mailing list was able to install FreeBSD on their
> Thinkpad by using OpenBSD's partition id instead of using FreeBSD's
> partition id. Could someone explain to me how to do that? Pretty please : )
> Or if there's another work around let me know. Thanks in advance!

That was me, I guess.  Here's some rough instructions for doing this
(note there isn't anything magic about OpenBSD's partition ID):

1.  Go to http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/ThinkPad/ and grab the boot1
and boot2 files.  Put them where you'll be able to retrieve them later
(it might be sufficient just to note where they are, if network
connectivity in the middle of your install is an option, so you may not
really need to do anything here).

2.  If you need to, make space for a FreeBSD slice (I used Parititon
Magic, YMMV).

3.  Do an install of FreeBSD using sysinstall and whatever media you
have available.  Make sure to *not* use dangerously dedicated mode, but
just install to a normal slice.

4.  Without shutting the machine down, start either an emergency
holographic shell or a fixit shell.

5.  Use fdisk(8) to change the type of your FreeBSD slice from 165 to
166 (this is the type for OpenBSD).  The location may vary depending on
what you did in #4 above.  You can probably find it on the slice where
you just did the install, and it may very well be in root's $PATH.

6.  Do whatever you need to do to bring boot1 and boot2 from step #1 to
your local filesystem; this might include setting up the network or
mounting a removable medium.

7.  Use disklabel(8) to write boot1 and boot2 to your FreeBSD slice (see
the manpage for disklabel and look at the -B option).

8.  Reboot, you're done.  From this point on, boot0 will give you the
choice of booting what it thinks is OpenBSD.  If you select that,
you'll start the FreeBSD boot sequence.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-251349390P