Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:20:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/9351: 2.2.8-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT should include getpwent.c semantics

The following reply was made to PR docs/9351; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:14:18 -0600

 I reckon I should "submit" a "fix" ... HTH

 On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 07:42:28PM -0000, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org wrote:
 >Fix:

 Append the following, or something like it, to the errata file:

 o getpwnam(3) semantics are incorrect in some cases.

 Fix: If passed a string longer than the maximum allowed for a user name,
      getpwnam will incorrectly return an entry for a user that matches the
      initial characters in the string up to the maximum length allowed for a
      user name.  To correct this behaviour, libc needs to be patched and
      recompiled.  The appropriate patch can be obtained at
      http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/gen/getpwent.c.diff?r1=1.35.2.2&r2=1.35.2.3

 --
    ___    http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/          dannyman yori aiokomete
   /___\   University of Illinois: Our Honored Symbol Merits Honored Retirement