Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:20:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com, james@westongold.com, peter@netplex.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au, lists@tar.com
Subject:   RE: Kernel threading (was Re: Thread Scheduler bug)

> Perhaps I'm being very dense, but you'll have to explain to me what
> you are concerned about here.
>
> *My* concern is that pthread_self, and access to thread-specific data,
> should be as fast as possible.  Writing thread-hot libraries without
> good thread specific data is irksome to say the least.

My point was that you can't have just one common pointer (address)
to TSD that is changed on thread schedule as it would limit you
to being able to execute only one thread per process at a time.
To take advantage of multiple processors, you'd need at least
as many TSD pointers as CPUs.  Julian discussed this in a previous
response.

> I'd guess that each 'kernel thread' would benefit from a private page
> too.
>
> James

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com