Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:14:41 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: big trouble - sendmail in todays stable NOT reading sendmail. cw

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 04:11 +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> Gerhard.Sittig> But I think /etc/rc would be a better place (just like the
> Gerhard.Sittig> nsswitch change and creating ssh keys when still absent before
> Gerhard.Sittig> enabled services start.  And it shouldn't damage an existing
> Gerhard.Sittig> local-host-names file, but append the .cw content.  Like
>
> Gerhard.Sittig>   CWFILE=/etc/mail/sendmail.cw
> Gerhard.Sittig>   NEWFILE=/etc/mail/local-host-names
> Gerhard.Sittig>   if [ -f $CWFILE ]; then
> Gerhard.Sittig>     cat $CWFILE >> $NEWFILE && rm $CWFILE
> Gerhard.Sittig>     chmod 644 $NEWFILE   # needed?
> Gerhard.Sittig>   fi
>
> Gerhard.Sittig> short before starting sendmail (if enabled).
>
> I disagree with this idea.  There is the prerequisite that all
> people use FreeBSD version of sendmail.cf.  Many people uses
> his/her own sendmail.cf.  Especially in Japan, many people
> prefer to use CF (*1) to generate his/her sendmail.cf.

What's wrong with the above cited code when it only gets
effective when
- sendmail is enabled and
- a sendmail.cw file is there (i.e. the admin previously had
  'use_cw_file' - or whatever the option is named like - in
  effect?

Those who never had a .cw file won't have a problem / won't
experience any change.  Those who converted their .cw by hand
(and removed it after not being needed any longer) won't either.

Only those who have (had) a .cw file, use sendmail and - not
explicitely stated above - used mergemaster to update /etc/rc to
fit the new sendmail version with the now referenced filenames
will experience an automatic conversion.  This could be combined
with a notification, of course.  Else there are chances the admin
won't notice anything at all. :)  So add this to the above if
branch:

  (
    echo "$CWFILE was renamed to $NEWFILE";
    echo "for more intuitive file hierarchy layout / naming";
    echo "";
    echo "add local names to $NEWFILE in the future";
  ) | mail -s 'sendmail administrativa' postmaster

or whatever is the channel you would like to use for
notification.

After all I have to admit that I neither use sendmail on a
regular basis nor did I follow the renaming too close.  All I
wanted to do is to provide a skeleton to achieve what others
wished for.  Tell me what's wrong with it (what was breaking,
what's missing) and it can improve.

I don't see (yet) how using a different .mc or .cf file than the
default(?) one would have an impact on the .cw file naming
convention.  I thought this would come from some .m4 file
distributed with sendmail.  But I could have missed the point
here ...

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net