Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:53:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Tony Maher <tonym@angis.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM this and that

In article <199809171204.WAA26692@morgan.angis.su.OZ.AU> you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> installed CAM last nite (and apart from some operator stupidity concerning
> creation of all appropriate devices) and it went well.
>
> A few things:
>
> 1. Ignoring all warnings I decided to play with camcontrol.
>    Tape unit was initially off - switched on, ran camcontrol rescan -
>    magic... tape drive visible.
>    Switch tape drive off, ran camcontrol rescan.
>    Oops cant see tape drive - hmmm lets lock up - time to press the reset
>    switch (is that why they warn against using camcontrol for novice users
>    ;-)

I shouldn't lock up.  What kind of tape device do you have?  Were there
any console messages leading up to the hang?

>    So why doesn't my main (and newest disk) do Tagged Queueing?
>    Reading disk pamphlet and Seagate web site didn't turn up much apart from
>    using one of the utilities under Netware to send command to turn
>    taggged queueing on.
>    Sounds like a a job for camcontrol!
>
>    camcontrol modepage -m 0x0a -u 1 -P 3 -e
>
>    change
>    Queue Algorithm Modifier:  0 -> 1

Don't even think about doing this.  If your other disks have this
turned on, you are begging for problems.  Setting the Q.A.M to
1 allows the drive to re-order transactions without regard to any
write integrity (i.e. write data to LBA X, read data to LBA X, read
is serviced before write and you get stale data).

>    DQue:  1 -> 0

Having DQue as 1 will prevent us from attempting tagged queuing.  You
would have to save this change and reboot for the system to notice this
particular change.  Performing a simple camcontrol based rescan might
also work, but I'd have to go verify that in the code.

> 4. Soon after booting see
>    (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): tagged openings now 16
>    Some limit on this disk set to only 16?

The disk only has space for 16 transactions.

> 5. This is an old disk and often get (esp. in first 20 mins of
>    booting) messages like:
>
>    (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): SCB 0x9 - timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x4
>    SEQADDR == 0x10e
>    SSTAT1 == 0x2
>    (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): BDR message in message buffer
>    (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): SCB 0x9 - timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x14
>    SEQADDR == 0x10e
>    SSTAT1 == 0x2
>    (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
>    ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 17 SCBs aborted
>
>    But system recovers fine!

That really looks like a bogus cable or termination.  The fact that
the problem seems to get better after boot (i.e the device warms up)
also points to a setup/connector problem.

--
Justin