Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2020 10:42:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   System unresponsive upon panic

Occasionally, I do something (i.e., attempt to run VirtualBox) that
provokes a panic on my workstation.  When this happens, the system
becomes completely unresponsive where not even a shutdown signal from
pressing the power button works.  It is probably a kernel panic, but
there is no dump and no reboot.  There is only a hard freeze.

Due to running GEOM_RAID, this leads to a nice long synchronization
compared to if it did reboot, so I am trying to figure out how to fix
that problem.  I suspect the Nvidia driver (v440.100 built from ports)
is somehow related to this, I am not certain.

System details:
FreeBSD 12-STABLE (r365263), but this has been happening for awhile
nvidia-driver-440.100
GeForce GTX 960
UFS + Intel ICH8+ RAID1
Dump disabled or enabled matters not.

To see if it mattered if X was the active console or the type of panic
mattered, I forced a panic from the console (ttyv0) while X was running.
This is all it gave me before becoming unresponsive.

-------------
panic: kdb_sysctl_panic
cpuid = 1
time = 1599367793
KDB: stack backtrace
#0 0xffffffff80731ec5 at kdb_backtrace+0x65
#1 0xffffffff806e615b at vpanic+0x17b
#2 0xffffffff806e5fd3 at panic+0x43
#3 0xffffffff80732891 at kdb_sysctl_panic+0x61
#4 0xffffffff806f503a at sysctl_root_handler_locked+0x8a
#5 0xffffffff806f4469 at sysctl_root+0x249
#6 0xffffffff806f4ad8 at userland_sysctl+0x178
#7 0xffffffff806f491f at sys___sysctl+0x5f
#8 0xffffffff80a324c7 at amd64_syscall+0x387
#9 0xffffffff80a0995e at fast_syscall_common+0xf8
Uptime: 1m52s

Now, if I do the same without X running, then it spits out a stacktrace
and reboots.

Should the system at least reboot when this happens?  Does it matter
what options are used to build the Nvidia driver such as ACPI, which I
have enabled?

Sean
--
scf@FreeBSD.org