Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:29:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My Pine woes: smpt lost, mail sits in queue

Annelise:

I decided to take you up on your suggestion. Now pine is sending my mail
into the queue as I would expect, and sendmail -q returns no errors.
However, the mail still sits in my queue.

I must warn you, before today, i didn't know I even HAD sendmail on my
system. I guess it's standard issue...

I tried to change the line as you suggested:

To queue the outgoing change the line in sendmail.cf that says 0di
to 0dq.  And/or add this to sendmail flags

my sendmail.cf does not have any text matching "0d" at all.
I'm not sure what to add the the sendmail flags.

Thanks for all the help!

Ken

ANNELISE'S SUGGESTION WAS:
Ken, if you haven't solved the pine problem yet you might want to
queuing the outgoing mail.  If pine can do this without problems,
that identifies the connection to the university as the problem.

To queue the outgoing change the line in sendmail.cf that says 0di
to 0dq.  And/or add this to sendmail flags; I run sendmail -bd &
out of rc.local and have sendmail turned off in sysconfig.

Then in .pinerc you set smpt-server=localhost.  Also enable suspend.

You can then suspend pine and look at the mail q with mailq, and
then use sendmail -q & to send it (and go back to pine with fg).
Later you can look at the mailq and see if the mail got sent.  This
mail is spooled in /var/spool/mqueue; you need to be root to read
or alter it.

Pine also has a debugging mode that will send you messages about its
performance....I think you can turn that on in the setup.

                                Annelise