Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:06:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange panic on Alpha, SCSI disk *type* related

As Matthew Jacob wrote ...

> The Qlogic copyright issues have been resolved and the f/w is about ready
> to go back into the tree, but I tend to agree with Drew here that you
> should upgrade your SRM. When the f/w does go back into the tree, it's
> probable that it *won't* be enabled to be compiled in by default (because

I have an excellent case that (copyrights aside) this should be possible
(putting the f/w in the driver):

my machine is an Aspen Alpine, which has EB64+ firmware running. It runs
the latest SRM available (which is ancient) and to add to the problem it
has the SRM in EPROM, not in flash.

> the driver supports multiple cards with multiple f/w sets, the f/w was
> beggining to add 100KB to the driver.... completely outta hand...).

Big, I agree. But I rather have a bigger kernel than a panic :-(

Wilko

> On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>

> > Wilko Bulte writes:
> >  >
> >  > Best guess is currently that something in the isp driver changed that made
> >  > the marriage of the IBM disk and the isp card a less than happy one.
> >  >

> > <...>
> >
> >  > isp0: Board Revision 1040B, resident F/W Revision 2.10.0
> >
> > <..>
> >
> > The isp change is that due to problems with the Qlogic firmware
> > copyright, Matt felt he had to remove the Qlogic firmware from the
> > FreeBSD (and NetBSD) trees.  Your card is now running with the
> > firmware that is loaded by the SRM console (2.10) rather than the
> > firmware that the isp driver was previously able to download (7.x).
> > This may be the cause of your problems.
> >
> > If it is possible, try to upgrade your SRM console firmware to a more

No go, see above.

> > recent version.  Modern revs of the srm console tend to load 5.x of
> > the qlogic firmware which might help you.  I'm running with 5.54.1 on
> > a number of machines here & have not seen problems.

Isn't it possible to flash the f/w onto the isp card itself? Or does the
Alpha always use the f/w contained in the SRM? The same cards also run
in a PC, so without the notion of SRM...

Wilko