Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:43:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za (Jacques Hugo)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questio

In a previous message, Jacques Hugo said:
> Hi there ...
>
> I've got a SCSI tape drive in my box ... and have a question.
>
> Why when you check dmesg, the tape gets probed as st0.
> I deducted that this is SCSI TAPE #1.  But when you
> tar or dump some filesystem, you must use /dev/nrst0.
> Where does the nr come from.

r is raw device. You want to talk to the character device when
that device is a tape.

n is  the no-rewind option. So you can put more than one file on
the tape.

> Also, after you have tar -czvf /dev/nrsto /usr/local/httpd
> (as an examole), it runs fine.
> But how do you untar the files from the tape. xzvf doesn't
> do it for me. And how can you list what is on the tape.
> Like tar -tzvf ???

Those are the right commands. But I'm guessing that since you put
the stuff on the tape with no-rewind, you are at the end of the
file on the tape.

If you are only putting one tar onto the tape, don't use n. If you
want more than one. use n and read the man page for mt, it
is your friend.

mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1		# move forward one file
mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/rst0 offline		# rewind and eject

Paul.

--
If you were to probe inside the guy psyche, beneath that macho exterior
and the endless droning about things like the 1978 World Series, you