Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:08:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, James D. Butt wrote:

> > For a client/workstation environment, NFS is really cool. For an ISP, I
> > do not see any place it would be _required_ or recommended unless you
>
> MAIL..
>
> Lets say that you have like lots of incomming mail more than one machine
> will handle... At that point you will have to have more than one MX host
> and possibly more than one popper machines.. All reading off of a common
> spool..

Well, think of a news server as a "big mail host". How many people use
NFS on a news server? None that I am aware of.

A PPro 200MHz can handle all the mail 3 T3's can dump on it. How much
mail are we talking about? Storage may be an issue, but thats a whole
different ball game.

You can also use qmail to queue your jobs and spool them to a single
repository for local deliveries.

> I know that BSDI had some file locking issues.. It has been a bit since I
> have thought about this... If I remember right it did not support any type
> of file locking. What about FreeBSD??

I would think that the all the UFS info from the hosting partition
(including locks) would be transmitted over NFS. I could be wrong though.

> I should have defined my scares me to death more.. I have used NFS lots
> but I have never thought of the reliablity as very good... I have had a
> few instances of real problems caused by NFS some odd file coruption ect.

That's what DATs are for. I know what you mean, though. You want a system
you set up and NOT WORRY ABOUT. Our NFS server has had in excess of 250
days uptime, but I am not doing anything fancy on it. It is exporting NFS
and samba, and I have not had ANY lockups, freezes, or corruptions so far
(knock on wood!).

> We also had some really nasty situations come up with BSDI 2.0 where we
> would have to reboot the machine to make NFS work after clients crashing..
Yuck. That would be a definite problem.

I still think you can avoid NFS if you want to. I also think FreeBSD's NFS
kicks the shit out of Linux's for speed, reliability, and security. I
give Kudos to the guys who have worked on it.

Kevin