Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:24:33 -0500
From:      Steve Loftis <sloftis@aok.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   All around system hang

(I mentioned this earlier on the "newbies" list, but I was informed it
was more of a "questions" question)

I have FreeBSD 5.1 installed on my box at home. Install worked smoothly
the second time, we just kind of messed up because it had been awhile
since my buddy installed his. Well anywho, it works... sorta.

The thing is this: after a number of hours of non-use, the machine just
quits responding. A movement of the mouse, a few key presses on the
keyboard don't help. I restart the machine and it during the initial
boot when I can access the BIOS, the input devices work fine. Once it
reaches the bootloader, the keyboard doesn't respond.

So I turn it off, unplug both keyboard and mouse (both of which are
ps/2, btw) and then turn the machine back on. It works after that.
However, after several hours of non-use, it does the same thing over again.

I would consider myself an intermediate when using Linux (RedHat
5.x-7.x) and I've printed off the a good amount of the manual from the
FreeBSD website.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

--Steve-0