Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:21:09 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/20601: DESTDIR and /etc/shells

On Thu 2001-08-23 (08:10), John E Hein wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/20601; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
> To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
> Cc: lwa@victor.teaser.fr
> Subject: Re: ports/20601: DESTDIR and /etc/shells
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:03:00 -0600
>
>  There is a proposed fix for this overall problem, but I haven't heard any
>   public feedback, positive or negative, about it.  If you are interested,
>   please test the patch and submit comments.
>
>  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28155
>
>  It goes to fixing the underlying problem with the improper treatment
>   of PREFIX and DESTDIR in bsd.port.mk.  A number of individual ports
>   will have to be fixed as well since they depend on the broken behavior
>   of bsd.port.mk.  But there are many ports already broken anyway (such
>   as the ones mentioned in both this PR (20601) and the PR above (28155)).

It's pretty obvious that a large number of ports will not support
DESTDIR immediately after the change.  However, I do believe it's
something we must have.  If I do some testing locally, can we move
forward with this a week after 4.4-RELEASE is out the door?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org