Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:42:17 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: GEOM MULTIPATH rewrite

--------------enigB3C5D17B9A52540D296E9FEC

Hello,

First of all, many thanks. I am going to test your patch on 9.0-RC1, and
try to backport it to 8.2 (which is the main version I am currently
using at work, in the environment where I have a critical need for FC
multipath redundancy...)

Again, thanks for your efforts. I hope to be giving feedback soon.

Cheers,

On 11/01/2011 05:10 AM, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> Attempt to fix some GEOM MULTIPATH issues made me almost rewrite it. So=

> I would like to present my results and request for testing and feedback=
=2E
>=20
> The main changes:
>  - Improved locking and destruction process to fix crashes in many case=
s.
>  - Improved "automatic" configuration method to make it safe by reading=

> metadata back from all specified paths after writing to one.
>  - Added provider size check to reduce chance of conflict with other
> GEOM classes.
>  - Added "manual" configuration method without using on-disk metadata.
>  - Added "add" and "remove" commands to manage paths manually.
>  - Failed paths no longer dropped from GEOM, but only marked as FAIL an=
> excluded from I/O operations.
>  - Automatically restore failed paths when all others paths are marked
> as failed, for example, because of device-caused (not transport) errors=
=2E
>  - Added "fail" and "restore" commands to manually control FAIL flag.
>  - GEOM is now destroyed on last provider disconnection. IMHO it is
> right to do if device was completely removed.
>  - Added optional Active/Active mode support. Unlike Active/Passive
> mode, load evenly distributed between all working paths. If supported b=
> device, it allows to significantly improve performance, utilizing
> bandwidth of all paths. It is controlled by -A option during creation.
> Disabled by default now.
>  - Improved `status` and `list` commands output.
>=20
> Latest patch can be found here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/gmultipath4.patch
>=20
> Feedbacks are welcome!
>=20
> Sponsored by: iXsystems, Inc.
>=20

--=20
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."
--MegaTokyo