Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:04:53 +0200
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.stuyts.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cards sharing irq's on PCI bus

I am running very low on available irq's and I noticed that the bios put both
my SMC 8432BT and my Adaptec 2740 on irq 9. Network performance was terrible,
iozone on NFS only 300kB/s. After disabling my IDE controller (only need that
when running Solaris) the Adaptrec was put on irq 14 (where the IDE used to be)
and my network performance was back ( more than 900kB/s).

Is it allowed to put have more than one PCI card use the same irq ???
It sort of worked. No errors or so, just lousy performance ??
Maybe someone can shed some light on this ??

	Paul
--
Paul van der Zwan		paulz @ trantor.stuyts.nl
"I think I'll move to theory, everything works in theory..."