Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:55:55 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl malloc doesn't work in FreeBSD 7.x with xchat anymore.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 04:43:55PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> See here: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=121472
> Backtraces: http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/gdb/gdb-xchat.txt
>
> It works ok in FreeBSD 6.x, but not FreeBSD 7.x. If I reinstall perl5.8
> with WITHOUT_PERL_MALLOC and it solves the problem of xchat with perl
> plugins crash in FreeBSD 7.x. I have no idea where I am supposed to look
> at. Do anyone know if this issue will be fixed in Perl 5.10?

I do not believe it is a Perl issue at all.  It is indicated by the
backtrace that Perl malloc's service areas are corrupted.

I can think of two possibilities:

- a problem of malloc'ed memory ownership (when it is allocated with one
  malloc implementation and free'd with another one);

- a genuine memory corruption within xchat which goes unnoticed on 6.x with
  phkmalloc and manifests itself on 7.x with jemalloc.

I seem to have a rather vague recollection that something similar has
happened with xchat before (some years ago).

One more possibility is that xchat is threaded and Perl is not.

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen