Date:      27 Oct 1999 19:12:16 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem problem

Ryan Linwood <rlinwood@designstein.com> writes:

> The problem is that the modems constantly drop out of autoanswer.

My far-fetched guess... have you saved in the active profiles of your
modems the proper things for auto-answering? i.e. set the register S0 to
the number of rings before auto-answering?

If not, you could use minicom or some other terminal application to send
to your modems the following commands.

    ATS0=1
    AT&W0
    AT&W1

> I want to create a crontab to call a shell script that will just send
> an AT command to the modems every 10 minutes to reset them.

Hm, I'm almost sure that you don't want to do this.  Won't this reset
the modem and hang up any active connection too?

> My problem is that I am not quite sure how to send a direct command to
> a modem in a shell script.

A simple "echo" command would be enough, although you would not be able
to see the OK responces of your modem.  Try something like:

	# echo -n "AT^M" >/dev/cuaa1

[ assuming that your modem is connected to /dev/cuaa1, of course ]

Note that to insert a literal ^M in the command you might want to press
the keystrokes ^V^M -- depending on your shell.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]