Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 16:25:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        trangmar@gnsnet.com (Robert Trangmar)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ft (Qic 40/80)

> Does anyone know why this this wasn't written as a *complete* tape driver?
> It would be really useful for me to have this as a device i could use
> dump and tar on and i am considering looking further into it with a view
> to enhancing it to do just that.
> Just thought i'd cast around to see if anyone had any input before i
> expended/wasted valuable time.

Yeah.  Even with double buffering to allow non-streaming access to resync
correctly, you have only a 200uS window in which to respond.

Process quantum @ 100HZ is 10mS, 50 times to large to guarantee the
thing will operate correctly on a loaded system without some higher
resoloution kernel timers and scheduling mechanisms in the kernel
itself.

Then either the timer has to be handled at interrupt level, or it has
to add a preeemption point for involuntary preemption of the process
that happens to be running when it needs to do its thing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.