Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:01:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with send-pr

Hi folks,

I just wanted to use the send-pr command in order to submit a piece of
documentation to the FreeBSD Project, but I ran into some peoblems which
made my submission not come through. Here's what's wrong:

Whenever I invoke send-pr and send something with it, it sets the
originating eMail address = my username @ my hostname. Since the machine
I'm currently working on is called howie.ncptiddische.net, it would set
the originating eMail address to nils@howie.ncptiddische.net.

The problem: This host is not reachable from the Internet, and the eMail
address automatically deterimed by send-pr does not exist. For everything
to work, send-pr should send a report originating from my real eMail
address, which is nils@tisys.org. However, I have not yet found a way to
tell send-pr that it should use *this* address instead of the other
(non-existent) one it automatically makes up.

I have tried changing the "From" and "Reply-To" fields within send-pr, and
I have even temporarily set my HOST environment variable to "tisys.org"
since I thought that might help, but it didn't. Whatever I do, in my
sendmail log file I can always see that send-pr has used
nils@howie.ncptiddische.net as "From" address, while I want it to use
nils@tisys.org instead.

Any ideas what I can do about it? Submitting reports with a non-existent
eMail address doesn't seem to be a good idea - neither will people be able
to contact me, nor will the FreeBSD GNATS system accept them at all (I
guess it's actually the mail server not accepting them.) So, any ideas?

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org