Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:12:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system unstable, how to make it stable again ?

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 09:16:40PM -0100, Malte Lance wrote:
> At 11:23 29.01.98 -0800, you wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Malte Lance wrote:
>>
>>> Assume your system got unstable due to some crashes, in such a way,
>>> that sometimes it freezes hard (no response from the machine, no ping ...).
>>> Assume further that some components (libs or apps or ...) are clobbered
>>> and in the best case your apps just core-dump but in the worst case
>>> some apps just malfunction and freeze the machine.
>>> Assume further a kernel rebuild does not help.
>>>
>>> Would a "make world" of the source-tree heal the system and make it
>>> stable again ?
>>
>> A make world would not necessarily cure all of your troubles.
>>
>> The big question I ask my self when things go awry is, "What did I
>> change?" and, "What are my error messages?" That is the starting point.
>
> changed /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to include -bpp 16
> rebooted
> hacked a mpeg1-player
> looked at a broken mpeg-file
> the hacked mpeg-player freezed
> changed back to 8 bpp
> rebooted
>
> since then i have occasionally freezes every several hours of the MACHINE !!!
> It just sits there and does nothing. Really. No activity. Absolute dead.
> Not even a network response from the NIC.
> When it freezes i have to switch the machine off and on again.
> At reboot the fsck cures the file-systems and everything is fine again.
> Then after some hours it freezes again.

This sounds like hardware to me.  I can't see how the modifications
you made could cause this to happen

You could try building a kernel with the kernel debugger, and see if
you can get it into the debugger when it freezes, but I'd guess that
there's some hardware problem behind it.  What's the hardware
configuration?

Greg