Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 17:41:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, mpp@legarto.minn.net
Subject:   Re: Ping times over PPP link to Linux box

>the Linux serial interface (looks like they use the Cyclom serial
>driver - whatever that is).

It's like our cy driver.

>I would also be interested in knowing what kind of ping times anyone
>else connecting via PPP from a FreeBSD box to a Linux box gets.

For local connections the ping time used to be 0-10ms (average 5) higher
for Linux due to lack of special handling for packet framing characters
in the driver.  Anything more than that is probably caused by the modem.

I see these ping times for local connections at 115200 bps:

	UARTs			slip		ppp
	16450 --> 16450		16.0ms		25.0ms
	16550 --> 16450		16.5ms		25.5ms
	16550 --> cd1400 	17.0ms		26.0ms	(new cy driver)

The differences are due to different or nonexistent input fifo timeouts.

Bruce