Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:55:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Redundancy...

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jim Sander wrote:

> > extended power-outage
>
>    On a different tack, has anyone got any *good* information on fuel-cell
> technology? (like companies offering products for sale now?) Several
> products are supposed to be available now, or "soon" but the sites making
> those claims don't seem to have been recently updated.
>
>    This technology seems perfect for applications where a generator isn't
> practical, moving machines to colo facilities is not desireable, but
> multi-hour/day backup power is required. But only if someone can bring it
> to market in a way small/mid size businesses can cost-justify...
>
> -=Jim=- Addy & Associates Inc.

  Ballard (a fuel cell leader) is making some stationairy power systems,
but they are designed for fairly larger installations.  They are also
expensive.

  I also have no idea of where you would think a fuel-cell based plant
could used somewhere a traditional diesel/natural gas/propane generator
could not.  A common technique in large office buildings is to purchase
two parking spaces in the parking garage near the outside wall.  Build a
room around the parking spaces, install the generator, fuel storage,
ducting for the air intake and cooling, and exhaust pipes.  Cooling air
is exhausted back into the parking garage.

  One of our locations has a nice 125kW generator installed in a such
a configuration.

Tom