Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:30:50 -0800
From:      Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>
Cc:        David J Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redundant NIC/Connections

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, David J Duchscher wrote:
>

> >I was wondering how people are handling redundant connections?  We
> >would like to have dual NICs in the FreeBSD box with each NIC connected
> >to a different switch.  Both switches are in the same broadcast domain.
> >In pointers, hints on this may done would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Hmm...  no responses posted to date.

I think one of my colleagues responded directly to the poster. We do it
by a daemon he wrote that monitors interface link status, and also
pingability of default gateways, and reconfigures interfaces in event of
a failure, based on the normal configuration file settings (/etc/rc.conf)

Instantly in event of link loss; after a few seconds of retrying in
event of router loss (we use HSRP addresses for routers.)