Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:20:42 +0900 (JST)
From:      Noritoshi Demizu <demizu@dd.iij4u.or.jp>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Subject:   Re: tcp troughput weirdness

(I am sorry if you have received this e-mail.  I'm resending this
 because it seems the previous one was lost.)

> TCP inflight limiting is supposed to guess the bandwidth-delay
> product for a TCP connection and stop the window expanding much
> above this.

(Just to clarify..)
TCP inflight limiting has a dedicated variable "snd_bwnd".
And min(tp->snd_wnd, tp->snd_cwnd, tp->snd_bwnd) limits
the amount of data to be sent.

> However, some of the guys I know that work on TCP dynamics reckon
> that they can they can come up with situations where inflight
> limiting will break. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to talk
> this through with them. I guess you may have found one of those
> situations ;-)

I experienced such situations with DragonFlyBSD.  I put examples
where inflight limiting reduces throughputs at the following pages.

  http://www.demizu.org/~noritosi/memo/2005/0706/
  http://www.demizu.org/~noritosi/memo/2005/0711/

Sorry, all senders in those examples are DragonFlyBSD.

Regards,
Noritoshi Demizu