Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:21:30 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 BETA4 no serial console

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>> Change this to -S9600 -Dh, and remove the lines from /boot/loader.conf.
>>
> did that.
> Still no login prompt via serial console. Although my getty is running:
>
> More hints on what's going on? :)

The only other thing I can think of would be an improperly wired serial
adapter or serial cable.  It's been a while since I've messed with
serial wiring, but I believe DSR/DCD not being tied to DTR on the DB9
female connector (which connects to the PC) could cause this.  This
applies to getty specifically, I believe.

I'd try replacing the std.9600 part of /etc/ttys with 3wire.9600 and
doing an "init q", or a reboot.  You can compare the two by looking at
/etc/gettytab and the gettytab(5) manpage.

If that doesn't work, can you set ttyd0 to off in /etc/ttys, reboot,
and after the box comes back up do `stty -a -f /dev/ttyd0` ?

Regarding wiring -- DB25-to-DB9 and DB9-to-DB9 wiring diagrams are here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serial.html#SERIAL-CABLES-PORTS

For RJ45-to-DB9, it's "worse" since it often depends upon what kind of
device (model/brand) drives the RJ45 port.  In the case of Xyplex or MRV
InReach products, the following wiring diagram works perfectly (I know
because we use it) with standard CAT5 cables (not crossover), and does
proper hardware flow control:

         RJ45          DB9
       Female          Female
  ===========          =======
      (CTS) 1  <---->  7 (RTS)
      (DTR) 2  <---->  6 (DSR)
      (TxD) 3  <---->  2 (RxD)
  (TxD GND) 4  <---->  5 (GND)
  (RxD GND) 5  <---->  5 (GND)
      (RxD) 6  <---->  3 (TxD)
  (DSR/DCD) 7  <---->  4 (DTR)
      (RTS) 8  <---->  8 (CTS)

Pins 1 (DCD) and 9 (RI) on the DB9 are unconnected/unused.

These adapters are often labelled as part no. XFDCE91.  www.apacn.com
sells them.