Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD more secure than Windows NT or Windows 2000?

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Sung Nae Cho wrote:
> Simply reinstalling Windows NT will not let you read someone else's
> file.

yeah, so just rip the drive out, stick it into a FBSD box and mount it
using NTFS.

the "security" feature of NT where it tries to make sure that you have a
login on the box to be able to do anything is really, really annoying.  I
managed to lock myself out of my laptop (switched from domain to workgroup
and lost my cached domain credentials) and didn't have a local admin
password and couldn't fucking change the password.  It was, of course,
more than trivial to dual boot into FBSD and mount the partition under
NTFS and get at all my files.  But there's no tools out there to hack the
new active directory passwords and the tools for hacking the old SAM files
didn't work on W2K.  So, the reportcard on W2K security in this way is
that it gets a big F- on security *and* gets a big F- on administrative
utility.  FreeBSD at least acknowledges that you don't have any security
when you're on the console and lets you do administrative tasks with the
proper incantations.

and this isn't appropriate for freebsd-stable.  take your trolling
elsewhere please.

> Now I think that's being secure all the way.

you have no clue about security, go away.