Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO wireless please.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Marwan Sultan wrote:
>>> Hello gurus,
>>>
>>> Can someone help me setting up my wireless device on my laptop
>>> im on 6.1R, I tried to do as instructed on handbook, but no luck.
>>> My laptop suppose to be the client, and i have a netgear wireless modem
>>> router up and running.
>>> How to make the freebsd see the router have the ip, and make the device
>>> up?
>>>
>>> from dmesg
>>> ugen0: Broadcom Corp HP Integrated Module
>>>
>>> The following is the output of ifconfig -a
>>> # ifconfig -a
>>>
>>> fwe0:
>>> flags=108943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT>
>>> mtu 1500
>>>        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>>>        inet6 fe80::603f:2ff:fe6c:4184%fwe0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>>>        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>>>        ether 62:3f:02:6c:41:84
>>>        ch 1 dma 0
>>> fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>>        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>>>        inet6 fe80::216:d4ff:fe01:617e%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
>>>        inet 192.168.0.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>>>        ether 00:16:d4:01:61:7e
>>>        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>>>        status: active
>>> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>>>        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>>>        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>>>        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>>>
>>> the following is in /etc/rc.conf  (i think there is something wrong)
>>>
>>> ifconfig_fwe0="DHCP"
>>> dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"
>>> ddhcp_flags=""
>>>
>>> the following is compiles in the kernel
>>> wlan
>>> an
>>> awi
>>> ral
>>> wi
>>> wlan_wep
>>> wlan_ccmp
>>> wlan_tkip
>>> wl As i have been told that fwe0 is not the wireless device, then how to
>>> show it up?
>>> compiled the kernel to some modifications as i wrote here, but no luck,
>>> Will kindly someone help me, as im new to wireless and bsd.
>>>
>>> Marwan
>> Marwan,
>>    fwe0 is your ethernet over IEEE1394 (firewire) connection. According to
>> the information above you don't have your wireless interface even present,
>> ie ugen0 was not present in the ifconfig output you have listed above.
>> -Garrett
> Here are some good relevant comments about your chipset:
> <http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-27794.html>, and you
> should refer to this page
> (<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html>;
> : Chapter 27.3) instead of the chapter mentioned in the bsdforums thread I
> gave earlier.
> -Garrette

Also the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking.html

With no wep I think your rc.conf is ok, if you use wep:

    ifconfig_ugen0="wepmode on deftxkey 1 wepkey 0x<key> DHCP

assuming you are using FreeBSD 5 or 6, you can dynamically load all the drivers
using /boot/loader.conf. For my laptop (a thinkpad T42p) I have:

snd_ich_load="YES"
if_ipw_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
acpi_ibm_load="YES"

That saves rebuilding the kernel to add the ugen device, assuming it is not
there.