Date:      11 Dec 2002 22:22:52 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Yann Golanski <yann@kierun.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Athlon MX install.

--=-p5h0YkT3PXsg0Ms4mOi4

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 18:40, Yann Golanski wrote:
>  Which of 4.7, -STABLE, -CURRENT should I use? =20

On a production machine you should run 4.7 release and only track the
upgrades for that release.=20

5.0 will be out soon, it has rewritten SMP code (SMPng) which will help
improve SMP performance, but the early adopters notes, say that it is
unfinished and might tend to be slower than SMP in for 4.7.

SMP so far has been really stable for me under 'heavy' load (10-15) for
both 4.7 and 5.0 RC and I haven't noticed much difference in speed.

Hardware notes say that Athlon XP is supported but that you should
search the SMP mailing list for problems with the chipset you might be
using.=20

>  What are the things I need to keep in mind while installing? =20

After you boot, you will have to recompile the kernel to support SMP.=20

See the handbook on how to configure, compile and install an SMP kernel.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

After you that check for these messages in dmesg:

$ cat /var/run/dmesg.boot

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
 io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00170011, at 0xfec00000
 SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

You can also run top(1), there will be an extra column C which shows
which CPU a process is running on.

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-p5h0YkT3PXsg0Ms4mOi4