Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:37:03 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   No pkg(8) database found! 11.0-RELEASE DVD based setup. What next?

 Hello,

my doughter get's her first laptop for christmas.
While preparing, I went the same way I did about 18 years ago with
FreeBSD 3.0, when I was new to FreeBSD and was amazed about the success
rate.
Needless to mention that usually I build my own packages and have decent
datacenter infrastructure in our company...
But I'm failing using bsdconfig(8) :-(

My simple question is: How do I install FreeBSD packages offline?
I want to try out regular X11-related packages like KDE or LXDE... In a
way my 12 year old doughter can follow.

No REPOS_DIR, no pkg(8) cli (how could she know what software there is?!).
Simply a curses based GUI to select packages for installation.

Is this another pkg(8) fallout?
No way for beginners to get a graphical system?

Thanks,

-Harry