Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:29:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:25:54 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Well, i was trying to combine 2 concepts: leaving the root account
> unchanged ('thou shalt not change thy root shell') and minimize writes to
> the root partition.

Ah, I think that's possibly where the abuse of the toor account has
crept in -- trying to use it to minimize writes to /.

> Since i have several scripts that i regularly edit and run for cvsup,
> kernel compiles, etc, i thought it would make sense to give toor a
> user directory with these scripts.

Why not just have the scripts in your non-root home directory and have
run them as UID 0 when you need to?  They don't have to be in root nor
toor's home directory for root/toor to run them.

> Now i have full access (UID 0) and whatever shell i want (zsh for now)
> and i'm not writing to the root partition.  But maybe i have the wrong
> idea here...

I think so.  Trust me, one day this is going to bite you in the foot.
Make toor's home directory the same as root's and work on minimizing
writes into the root directory some other way.

Ciao,
Sheldon.