Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:14:57 -0800
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hw.pci.realloc_bars

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 02:20:23 PM Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> hw.pci.realloc_bars controls a mechanism that repositions a PCI memor=
y resource if it can=E2=80=99t be successfully allocated at the default=
 place.
>=20
> It=E2=80=99s disabled by default - anyone know why?
>=20
> Seems to me that because it only comes into play in an error case it =
would be harmless to have it enabled by default. That would have avoide=
d a recent case where installation on the HPE Gen 10 microserver is tri=
cky because its VGA suffers from this problem.
>=20
> Thoughts?

It is disabled by default because it is risky.  A correct implementatio=
would first pre-reserve as many firmware/BIOS-assigned ranges as possib=
le
and only then fallback to allocating resources from scratch.  Right now=

it tries to realloc as soon as it fails which is before we've reserved
firmware-assigned resources of other devices in the system.

--=20
John Baldwin