Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 22:27:47 -0400
From:      awhawks@usa.net
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mtree problem in current

I have a problem on my -current system that has been happening for a
few weeks, but until now I didn't know what was causing it. I first
suspected a drive going bad but have recently found that mtree is
the culprit.

during a make world while it is doing the installworld it calls mtree
as follows:

cd /usr/src/etc
mtree -deu -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /

at this point my system hangs as far as disk access goes. Anything that
requires disk access doesn't work. Network routing continues and I can
change windows in my window manager but anything I do that would read
or write to disk just hangs at that point. This requires that I hit the
reset button to continue.

The other mtree steps during make world completes fine till this point.
mtree -deU /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist -p /usr/include
is an example of one that works fine.

Is this a problem in -current or is their something on my system that I
need to check/fix?

Thanks Adam Hawks
awhawks@usa.nwt