Date:      Thu, 03 May 2018 09:15:39 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade vs. portmaster

from Jonathan Chen and my previous post:

> On 30 April 2018 at 22:33, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:
[...]
> > I see hardly any mention of synth on the freebsd-ports list.  Have synth users become disenchanted?

> There are a growing number of synth users. They just don't appear on
> the list 'cause the software just works.

> > One downside is that synth fails to install build dependencies, so I have to pkg install all of these separately, very annoying.

> Why should build dependencies be installed? Their only purpose is for
> building the port.

But build dependencies happen to be build dependencies for something out of synth territory, like cross-compiling Haiku or Linux toolchains.

> > I was bitten just yesterday trying to build cross-compiling tools for Haiku when make info was missing because texinfo was built but not installed.

> > But I was able to recover with pkg install after checking my repository.

> > With portmaster, I need to specify ports by category/portname rather than just portname, for example
> > portmaster www/seamonkey

> > On my other computer, with MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, synth just fumbles and crashes.

> I would suspect you have hardware issues instead. synth builds tend to
> strain the machine - it's a good test of machine hardiness.

I might try to see if booting in UEFI mode might give better results.

Excerpt from Stefan Esser and my previous post:

> I do not know how much development is occurring for synth. It is written in a
> language that is only supported on amd64 (and i386?) and I'd rather use a tool
> that works on all platforms.

I believe Ada did not originate on i386 PCs, existed long before amd64.  There have been Ada compiler suites for i386 DOS and MS-Windows, and there is DJGPP for DOS.

But I see why you prefer something that can be ported to all FreeBSD-supported platforms.

> > One downside is that synth fails to install build dependencies, so I have to pkg install all of these separately, very annoying.

> Pure build dependencies should not be required on a system, outside the build
> process. If you need some compiler or build tool, then it is just a normal
> program selected by the user.

One benefit of FreeBSD and NetBSD, and some Linux versions, is package systems that build and install packages and dependencies from source.  So I am accustomed to haing dependencies pulled in rather than having to name every package.  Some packages, even when named, were built but not installed by synth.

There ought to be an option to install build dependencies for circumstances where that would be useful.

> > I was bitten just yesterday trying to build cross-compiling tools for Haiku when make info was missing because texinfo was built but not installed.

> This might be a problem with the specification of dependencies in the port.

Tom