Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:03:45 -0600
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp.freebsd.org and ftp.freesoftware.org

Trying to connect to ftp.freebsd.org I got the following message,

---
FTP Error

Could not login to FTP server

Sorry, but there are too many users logged into this machine now.
The maximum limit is 400 while we're on temporary hardware,
ftp.freesoftware.com (AKA the old ftp.freebsd.org) is off the net
for now and there is unfortunately no ETA for its return.

Please try back in a few minutes, or try the alternate servers at:

        ftp://usw1.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/
        ftp://usw4.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/

They are sharing the same contents as this one.
My apologies for the inconvenience!  -jkh

User anonymous access denied.
---

Ouch. What happened to ftp.freesoftware.com?

Charles