Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:01:11 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Terry R. Friedrichsen" <bsd@hackbox.bunker-ranch.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, bsd@bunker-ranch.com
Subject:   Re: ports/126630: ports build of devel/gio-fam-backend fails

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:39:54 -0500, Terry R. Friedrichsen
<bsd@hackbox.bunker-ranch.org> wrote:

> mezz wrote:
>
>> Learn to search in mailing list archive or/and google.
>
> Thank you very much for your comments.  I searched the FreeBSD problem
> reports and found no reference to this problem.  I am now enlightened
> that I should search the mailing list for problem reports rather than
> the FreeBSD PRs.  And the send-pr.html page doesn't warn me that I
> should search the mailing list archives rather than the PRs before re-
> porting a problem.
>
> In anticipation that I'll win the same caustic comment for my PR on
> cairo vs. pixman, the same explanation applies.

Done and closed.

> Earlier, I did in fact report a problem in FreeBSD-questions rather
> than sending a PR, and got no responses.  So the mailing lists don't
> appear to be an effective place to report problems, either.
>
> And in any case, you *can't* search the mailing list archives.  As
> this page says:
>
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/
>
> "The archive search index was last rebuilt at Thursday, 08 Feb 2007
> 06:16:51 UTC. Any postings after that will not be found by a search."

Insteresting... These need to be reword and tell users to visit
http://www.freebsd.org/search/#mailinglists ... Search in freebsd-gnome
(Gnome) should get you first result correct.

> Quite useful, that.
>
> Now I know that FreeBSD is a volunteer effort, so I never utter a
> single word of complaint about anything associated with it; I am
> happy that it exists and that it works (and is organized) as well
> as it is.
>
> But if you're going to insult me for not following unspecified (and
> ultimately fruitless) procedures before sending a PR, *then* you're
> going to get an earful from me about the problems involved in doing
> so.
>

>> Update your glib20.
>
> Yes; as I pointed out in my PR, that's precisely the solution.  That
> wasn't at all obvious at the time, given that glib20 was already in-
> stalled, nor was it easy to discover that something called "gio" is
> a part of glib20.
>
> Learn to read the PR.

'Install the devel/glib20 port first.' It doesn't tell you if it's old or
update glib20, so I am being more specific to point you to update your
glib20. By default, the gio-fam-backend does install glib20 if glib20 does
not exists. I will asking my team if I can split 20080323 part for glib20.

> If the gio-fam-backend port depends on a particular version of glib20,
> it should check for that and say something meaningful, like the cairo
> port does for pixman.  So the PR is, in fact, reporting a real problem
> that should be fixed.

There is no feature exists in LIB_DEPENDS. I don't know if anyone is work
on it.

Cheers,
Mezz

--