Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:34:04 +0200
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass9573@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + exFAT

On 1/15/2010 3:19 PM, Jerry wrote:
> I know that this was asked approximately 1 year ago; however, I was
> wondering if there had been any movement on it. Specifically, getting
> FreeBSD to recognize the 'exFAT' format. It is becoming a very common
> format for use on removable drives.

It's patented and it probably comes with a multi-page aggrement and a
price.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Licensing) says:
Companies can integrate exFAT into a specific group of consumer devices,
including cameras, camcorders and digital photo frames for a flat fee.
Mobile phones, PCs and networks have a different volume pricing model.

The above sound pretty much inappropriate for an open source operating
system like FreeBSD.

Nikos