Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:43:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Atrens <andrew_atrens@yahoo.ca>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        atrens@nortelnetworks.com
Subject:   is ext2fs a good template for porting a linux filesystem?

Hi All,

I'm investigating writing a shim to allow Clearcase's linux mvfs
(multi-version filesystem) kernel module to be used under FreeBSD.

Needless to say there are a few hurdles to overcome, but fortunately
I'm
not in too big hurry :)

So, the subject: of this email relates to one of the hurdles. :)

Clearcase provides a thin (compilable) shim which fits between the
linux
kernel and their mvfs module. All accesses to data structures and
functions (except panic() and printk()) are indirected through the
shim.
This simplifies their porting effort for new versions of the linux
kernel.
It also _might_ make it possible to develop a FreeBSD shim, although I
really don't know enough yet to know for sure :)

I've been looking at their shim, and at mfs code for clues as to how
the
linux and Freebsd vfs layers might compare. Next I'd like to look at a
linux fs that's been ported to FreeBSD. Should I be looking at ext2fs,
or
is there a better example out there ?

Sorry for being so longwinded :)

Cheers,