Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:11:47 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pb with 4.1-STABLE and Compaq Deskpro 4000 floppy

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 02:50:32PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed 4.1-STABLE (cvsupped September 15) on a Compaq
> Deskpro 4000 (5200MMX), and I cannot use the floppy.

> 2) after installation, the floppy cannot be accessed: no io succeed.
>
> 3) a fixit floppy cannot be mounted after loading kernel/mfsroot
> floppies and selecting "fixit".
>
> But, 3) may be done using 3.5-STABLE kernel/mfsroot floppies.
>
> Compag diag/setup says the fdc uses ports 3f0-3f5
>
> 4.1-STABLE says the fdc uses ports 3f0-3f5,3f7
>
> 3.5-STABLE says the fdc uses ports 3f0-3f7
>
> Hoping for help,
>
> Claude Buisson
> FRAMATOME

I also have a floppy problem with 4.1 Release on my box.
Here i can read write on formatted floppies, but fdformat does not work.
The floppy drive is good since it works OK under Win and Linux.
I have looked at the code for the floppy controller but it's spaghetti code.
In particular some delays are implemented through for loops, perhaps the
machine is too fast for the drive. Don't know. I have already posted that
but have received no feedback.

Michel Talon