Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 18:01:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Building klds with kernel (was: HEADS UP: bdevsw has changed its character)

On Sunday,  9 May 1999 at 10:21:57 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <19990509174914.A22791@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey writes:
>
>>> People who are running -current for stability had better be damn careful
>>> and be very selective about what they choose to run as a stable snapshot.
>>
>> I think the real problem is that the klds get built with "make world"
>> and not with a kernel build.  How about changing that?  I've got the
>> opposite problem on another machine: I did a make world, but not a
>> reboot, and now my Linux emulation is broken.
>
> Well, it is a problem you cannot solve in general, in particular as
> we start to see 3rd parth KLDs...

Well, as long as the third party klds are in source, that's fine.
They're going to be a real problem otherwise anyway: what will they do
with bdevsw?  They'll have to be recompiled one way or the other if
they're device drivers.

Anyway, they're the exception.  Most klds are part of the source tree,
and they're logically part of the kernel, not of userland, so it makes
more sense to build them when building the kernel.

Greg