Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:40:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@walton.maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/33809: mount_nfs  has trouble with embedded ':' in path

The following reply was made to PR bin/33809; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@walton.maths.tcd.ie>
To: aaron <aaron@lo-res.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:37:34 +0000

 On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:18:55PM +0100, aaron wrote:
 >        When taking a look at /usr/src/sbin/mount_nfs/ \
 >        mount_nfs.c the problem seems to be at line 593:
 >
 >        [ function: getnfsargs() ]
 >                  if ((delimp = strrchr(spec, ':')) != NULL) {
 >                                ^^^^^^^^^^ this gives a '\:' no chance.
 >         Neither does it take into account that I might have specified
 >         the path enclosed with single quotes "'" (e.g.
 >          mount_nfs hostname.com:'/my/path:rest/' /mnt

 If you put quotes or escape the colon on the command line, then
 this will have been interpreted by your shell before mount_nfs is
 run and so mount_nfs does not have to understand this. The reason
 the last ':' is used is probably so that IPv6 addresses can be used
 with mount_nfs (this would work in -current, but probably not on
 stable).

 I'm not sure what the best way to resolve this is - it may be "don't
 use paths with colons in them". Another possibility would be to add
 an extra flag to mount_nfs which lets you give the host name/address
 seperately from the path.

 	David.