Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 23:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-emulators@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, David Gilbert wrote:

> Annelise> I linked /var/lib to /uar/compat/linux/var/lib, which is
> Annelise> where on rpm is.  This it found, I think.
>
> Annelise> But it complainst that its make for a different operating
> Annelise> system, so I can't get it to install on 4.0-STABLE.  What
> Annelise> did you do?
>
> Annelise> It also wants glibc 2.0 or 2.1 or compatible.
>
> Annelise> There seems to be no place to give it options and the setup
> Annelise> executable is a binary.
>
> Someone was talking about patching the linux emulation to prefer (say)
> is "install.sh" ... I ran /usr/compat/linux/bin/bash install.sh
> ... which caused it to choose binaries like
> /usr/compat/linux/bin/uname, etc.
>
> I think I also got further with the installation when I copied the cd
> to disk and did some editing on the install script, but I forget what
> I was doing.
>
> Whatever wine is doing is not 100% compatible with the FreeBSD
> emulation, though.  I can get Quattro Pro to run, but it malfunctions
> in many ways.  Word perfect won't run --- it dies trying to play some
> sound.
>
> Since Corel Linux won't run under VMWare, I'm going to try to get
> debian installed on VMWare to install this stuff and at least see it
> running.
>
> I must say that I'm dissapointed that I can't run it.
>
> Dave.

My cdrom for WordPerfect Office2000 for Linux Standard doesn't have
an install.sh script; it's got a setup binary.

I got a little further making a bunch of symbolic links in /var
(e.g., bin -> /usr/compat/linux/bin) and putting /var/bin at the
beginning of my path; aliasing sh to /var/bin/sh; rebuilding the
rpm database with the rpm in /usr/compat/linux and giving it a
full path to the database (I move the other one out of the way
at least temporarily).

A lot of docs installed but I can't find any binaries; lots of
errors that it couldn't find /etc/mtab (of course it couldn't find
/etc in /usr/compat/linux, as this wasn't symbolically linked, but
there's no mtab there anyway); and quite a lot of archives it failed
to unpack; difficulty setting symbolic links from from /etc/rc.d stuff to
other places in /etc, having to do with fonts; "can't find shell
function libraries to start server"; and failure to unpack a number
of archives that are probably important to things running.

Giving up :)

	Annelise